Thursday, May 21, 2009

Spotlight on Etsy Greetings Team Member IsabellaFlora

IsabellaFlora is a musical and imaginative name. And once you see what this duo can accomplish with a camera, Photoshop, and watercolors, you will always remember the colors and images of IsabellaFlora. This father and daughter team find inspiration from nature, every day life, and each other. The father has been a very creative photographer beginning in 1928. The daughter, Eve, is in the spotlight. Eve’s use of color and her blending style leaves me with a feeling of calm and serenity. But, I can’t wait to see what’s next.

The picture in this article is of a morning glory. To see a sample of what the morning glory would look like mounted with an embossed border, please visit the amaryllis card in IsabellaFlora’s shop. After you have read the interview be sure and visit their Etsy shop, IsabellaFlora.

Enjoy!

How did you get your start in the world of art?
I started watercolor painting just about 2 years ago when my best friend Kylie, who is a colorful vibrant artist, told me I should paint...and...I believed her!!!!!! I also think I inherited some artful genes. Both of my parents are artists in their own way.

Do you have a ritual you perform before you start creating?
I definitely have a routine. I go to my studio and set all the paints and paper in their proper place. I evoke assistance from the universe with a small ritual asking for guidance and words of encouragement. Then I play my very favorite music and let loose. Afterwards I have a closing short ritual with words of thanks. I sincerely believe that all of this helps.

What do you like best, the creative process or the final creation?
The creative process is by far the most important. When the juices are flowing and the music is wonderful it is such a joy to paint. It's best not to get caught up in the outcome. I just finished a watercolor for my friend who will be a bride in October and it was so great to paint her wedding invitation. And happily, she recently saw the original and gave her overwhelming approval for it. This is the process I enjoy so much.

What are your favorite art media, tools, and supplies?
Watercolor, watercolor and a little bit of glitter. I also love luminescent paints. That just gives everything a sparkle!


When a creative block happens, what process do you go through to get the creative juices flowing again?
Creative blocks are actually quite interesting. Often I think it’s a transition to a new creative place and can take some time. The best thing I do is keep trying, cut up the painting and keep the parts you like. Discard the rest...and try again and again.

What do you hope your art says about you?
My art makes me feel connected with nature. Therefore it makes me happy.

What is your greatest dream and greatest fear as an artist?
My greatest dream at this moment is to have a successful little business selling my art on greeting cards, scarves, and tote bags. It has started in a small way with my Etsy store and hopefully it will grow.
There are no fears. If it doesn't work, there is no harm in trying. I have learned many things along the way.

What are your goals in art, and in life?
My goals are simply to explore my inner being through my watercolors. It is important to paint for yourself and be true to yourself. This is parallel to a life philosophy and continually exploring and restructuring myself throughout my life. I have in the past been a landscape architect, mountain climber, rock climber, basket weaver, pianist, botanist, bryologist, and now an artist. So much to do and not enough time!!!

Tell us a little bit about yourself-where you grew up, your life now, other creative pursuits, other interests and hobbies.

Grew up in northern New Jersey. Parents are both from the little country of Estonia, on the Baltic Sea and south of Finland. I can still understand the language somewhat and look forward to another visit to the homeland. Moved to California in the late 1970's and now I am a dedicated West Coast gal. I have traveled extensively all over California and the West and climbed well over 600 mountains in my lifetime. I am just as happy sleeping in the wilderness as my comfy bed at home. Just give me the mountains or give me the desert and I am quite content. I love the great out of doors!

Do you have more than one Etsy shop and/or other online shops?
I have one shop on Etsy:
http://isabellaflora.etsy.com.

For more talented artisans please visit http://etsygreetings.blogspot.com/.

3 comments:

  1. What a great interview - I loved reading about your creative process. This image in your shop is by far my favorite: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=20184722

    And I love that you started postcard-size and worked your way into larger canvases - very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU WORK IS AMAZING!!! I loved reading your interview. Gave your shop a heart! Smiles

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visitng! I appreciate all and every comment! You do my soul good!

I'm Moving!

I am moving my blog to my website at AJ's Design Artz . I hope you stop by!