My next step was adding more texture to the surface. I did that with dimensional medium and an art stencil.
Sunday, April 19, 2015
RSD Mixed-Media Wall Art
As I said many moons ago (and I mean many moons!)…I would have a photo tutorial with Rick St. Dennis’s digital image Marci. Well I decided that my goal, and my only goal for today, was to post my process. This post is photo heavy. I hope that this helps show you that many digital images can be used for mixed-media. Marci was first colored with Copics.
Skin: E000, 00, 11, 15, BV000, R02;
Orchids, Bow, and Eye: B32, 34, 37, 99;
Hat: E50, 51, 55, 57, 59;
Hair: E21, 25, 27, 29;
Lips: R02, 24, 29;
Background: W1, 2, 3, B32.
DecoArt ‘s products needed:
Americana Stencil-Medieval Medallion (as of April 18, 2015, this is on sale for $1.75USD with limited quantities);
Americana Acrylic Paint in Warm White, Sapphire, Milk Chocolate;
Americana Multi-Surface Acrylic Paint in Sky Blue;
Dazzling Metallics in Worn Penny;
Glamour Dust Paint in Gold Glitz;
Americana Decou-Page Matte;
Metallic Lustre in Copper Kettle;
Digital image or rubber stamp for your focal point. I have used Rick St. Dennis’s Marci, one of his many “Hat” ladies series.
Stretched canvas (mine is 5”x7”);
Paper Flowers (optional);
Dies (the one I used is by Spellbinder’s );
Gold Glitter Glass (optional);
Metal corners (optional);
Lace for the edge of canvas (optional);
Baby wipes and paint brushes.
The above two photos show the beginnings of my 5”x7” wall art. I adhered white tissue paper and book text to the canvas with the Decou-Page. You can see that I left a lot of wrinkles in the tissue paper. I wanted that for texture. After that was dry, I brushed on gesso, waited about a minute, and removed some of the gesso with baby wipes.
Above photo shows painting with the sky blue paint and using baby wipes to remove some of the paint.
The first photo above shows me using sapphire paint. The next photo shows where I removed some to the sapphire paint but left the darker blue around the stenciled art.
Above are photos showing the metallic lustre in copper on the stenciled image. I also decided to add the Metallic Lustre along the sides of the canvas.
I am almost finished as you can see above. Now is the time to for me to add my chosen embellishments. I used various paper flowers, chipboard, and glitter glass (all from my stash) around the central image. After the adhesive was dry I added glitter paint to the flowers and chipboard for extra sparkle.
This photo shows my completed project, but with a side view. I measured some cotton lace (or tatting) and painted several coats of brown paint and finished the sides of the canvas. You can also see that I dabbed the same brown paint on the metal corners. This helped tone down the gold metal of those corners.
This is my final piece. This picture really does not do justice to all the texture that is going on behind the main image. It’s not too much, because I did not want the focus of my central image to get lost. After all, that is where my inspiration began.
Thanks for stopping by! If you have any questions, please contact me.
Wahoo! Day 2 and 28 more days to go. I am so glad I decided to join in the fun this time around. I am talking about Kathy Racoosin’s The D...
My third one for this week! I hope that I can keep this up! LOL This clean and simple card is not as “stiff” as my first one. You ca...
Well, it’s been a while for me not being in blog land. I hope that I can remedy that over the next several months. I have had pneumonia of...
Hi all. I thought I needed to pop in and show you this little card I made. As you know this is my first year for “The Daily Marker’s ...