Thursday, December 11, 2014

RSD’s Christmas Party Hat



Happy Thursday everyone! This post is almost a repeat of one that I did with just my Copic coloring as my subject matter and introducing our second part of our Sparkle & Glitter Progressive challenge. I did promise in that earlier post that I would have a project made with Rick St. Dennis’s (RSD) beautiful image “Christmas Party Hat.” That's what this post is all about. Rick has so many gorgeous images in his “hat” series. You can find them in his Etsy and Zibbet shops.

For my 6” square card I knew that I wanted to try a “Shabby Chic” style, but was very uncertain if I could pull it off. I think that I almost reached that style. I know that I still need a lot of practice, but I was rather satisfied with the finished piece.


I first colored Christmas Party Hat with Copics and accented in some places with a clear glitter pen and a white gel pen. She was trimmed with some matting basics dies. After trimming, I distressed the edges on both pieces and distressed further on all edges with a light and dark brown ink. On the top piece I added some white embossing powder and ultra-thick bronze embossing powder.


Copics used:
Skin: E000, 00, 04, 11, 21, R20;
Hair: E21, 23, 25, 29;
Leaves and Bow: YG91, 93, 95, 97, 99;
Roses: R01, 02, 05, 08, 89, W6
Fur and Feathers: C00, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, YG91;
Hat: W000, 1, 2, 3, 6, R01;
Background: W00, 0, 1, 2.



Now it’s time to add all the details around my central image. I wanted a doily somewhere peeking out. That doily is in the background enhanced with white gesso, embossing enamel, glitter glass, and brown inks. Most of my roses are handmade. After they were completed, I dipped the edges of the roses with DecoArt white shimmer paint for the red ones, and a shimmering red paint for the white ones. The one that was made from paper got the white treatment.



I wanted something that emulated holly. I found some chipboard stems that I painted with a metallic green and added red rhinestones for berries. I also found a chipboard circle frame that I spayed with some DecoArt shimmering white paint. After that was dry I daubed on some red ink on top of the white paint. It kept that shimmer. I am really enjoying my DecoArt products. I cut that in half and added to the top and bottom corners.

My finished piece may not be truly shabby chic, but it is definitely mixed-media.


My list of supplies:
Oatmeal Cookie, Butter Cream;
Paints: Deco Art-Acrylic Gesso, White Shimmer Mister,
Festive Green Dazzling Metallic;
Inks: FSJ Cocoa Powder, Oatmeal Cookie, Candy Apple;
Dies: Spellbinder’s Card Creator Matting Basics A & B, Bitty Blossoms;
My Stash: Embossing powders, doily, rhinestones, glass glitter

I would like to enter the following challenges:
Fresh Brewed Designs – Christmas Anything Goes
Creative Moments – Anything Goes/Winter
Inspiration Destination – Anything Goes
Through the Craft Room Door – Anything Goes

I hope you join us for our December Progressive Challenge Part 2. To enter, (you still have a few weeks), you must use “Christmas Party Hat” within your project. I would like to invite you to our Facebook group, Rick St. Dennis Fans and Friends. We have a bi-weekly art contest that has been lots of fun for the members. This art contest will begin again on January 5, 2015. Our blog, “Airless Chambers,” is participating in Smeared and Smudges 12 Days of Creepmas. Come join us and have some fun.

Thanks for stopping by. If you have any questions, please contact me.
Aletha Jane

3 comments:

  1. Wow this is fantastic. It is so precious what you made. And it is coloured lovely.
    Thanks for playing with us at Inspiration Destination.
    xxx Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the work you have put into this card and you have coloured her in beautifully. Thanks for shaing it with us at TTCRD challenge Janet DT x

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGosh your card is absolutely stunning, love the colours and the stamp its a work of art,

    Thank you so much for stopping and for taking the time to leave a comment, its deeply appreciated,

    Crafty Hugs and kindest regards
    Bridget AKA Curly bear crafts

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visitng! I appreciate all and every comment! You do my soul good!

I'm Moving!

I am moving my blog to my website at AJ's Design Artz . I hope you stop by!